Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Christmas In Hawaii with Hokulani - "Santa Paws"

Christmas in Hawaii is no different then the rest of the world. As I was finishing up my shopping at one of our local malls, I followed a long line of children and camera flashes going off. Wondering what was going on, I asked some of the kids and thinking at the same time maybe it's "Santa." I stood in line just to get a glimpse of this Santa Claus, and "wow, bow wow," it was a "santa paws." What a sight of Old Saint "Paw" Nick. Actually, this is "Hokulani" who dresses for all occasions and belongs to Mr. Norman Dung of Kaneohe. Cute yeah? Hokulani wants to wish "Merry Christmas" to all those shoppers for stopping by and taking my picture."

As for me, I continued my shopping and followed the music to the center stage of Ala Moana Shopping Center where Kumu Hula Tiare Noelani Chang and her Halau from Wai'anae were performing. Great performance! I spoke to Kumu Hula Tiare Noelani Chang after their performance and was told that she started her Halau in 1995 in her back yard for the purpose of

teaching young girls hula for church performances. She has been teaching the culture of Hawaii to youth in Wai'anae for 15 years. You can find her website at noelani-chang.com. Much Mahalo to Hokulani and Kumu Hula Tiare Noelani Chang for sharing my Christmas in Hawaii. 

No comments:

Post a Comment