Sunday, December 6, 2009

"DOG PULLING" Weight Pull Competitions

On Saturday, December 5, 2009, I was invited by Alan and Stacie Mahoe of Nanakuli to watch a demonstration of "Dog Pulling." Yes, dog pulling! I know you are all wondering what it is, and I too had the same question, so I just had to see what this was all about. I was told that each dog pulls a wheeled cart or a sled with weights on it and the dog must pull the wheeled cart or sled 16 feet in 60 seconds and they are judged by who can pull the most weight. The owners can not touch the dog prior to them crossing the finish line, and if they do they will be disqualified from that event. Prior to a tournament, I was told that each dog is put into a different weight class.

As for the dogs feeling pain, I can't speak for them, but I understand that dogs who have done this "enjoy" the workout and those that don't will not move an inch. As for the ages of the dogs that participate, they usually fall between one year and 12 years old. Tournaments are usually held in Hawaii around March to September and are also held on the U.S. mainland, but it depends on the sponsors. The dogs with the best times earn points, and at the end of the year these points are added up. Those with the best three pulls earn a medal placement of Gold, Silver or Bronze. So, if you're driving around the islands and see a sign "dog pulling," you'll know what it's all about. Thank you to Alan and Stacie Mahoe for the invite and information. Check Out My Photos

No comments:

Post a Comment