Saturday, November 17, 2012

Kapolei Hurricanes "vs" Waipahu at Kalaeloa Baseball Field

#44 Kaumana Naki - #10 Skye Kawai Olores-Fernandez - #5 Allen Fo'i
Owner "Kapolei Hurricanes" Troy Fo'i (back row) 
I was invited by Head Coach Kaleo Fernandez of the Kapolei Hurricanes to the Kalaeloa (Barber's Point) baseball field for a game between the Kapolei Hurricanes and the Waipahu Big Boys.  I spoke to the owner of the Kapolei Hurricanes, Troy Fo'i (photo above) who told me, "we started this league about 6 years back because our bigger kids couldn't make the weight limit for the Pop Warner.  The league started off with Father John back in Maile and this other team in Kahuku, originally with only 3 teams, and it kind of developed into 3 organizations, the Hawaii Pacific League Big Boys, Hawaii Junior Prep Big Boys, and now this is the Hawaii Elite Pacific Big Boys."

Head Coach Kaleo Fernandez
"Today's game is part of the Hawaii Elite Pacific Big Boys.  This group I got this year are brand new kids who never played football before and I'm just here to help them out to develop their skills for high school level and just to give back to the community.  I've been a coach at Kapolei High School for almost 4 years, helping out Head Coach Darren Hernandez and his staff as the DT/DL JV and Varsity."

"As for the outcome of today's game, main thing to me is to go out there and give it our all and I hope the kids just play their heart out and just have fun!  These kids are not just athletes, they're student athletes first.  I do grade checks and as you can see some of the kids can't play.  I go by the 2.0 GPA ruling and have the support of the parents, and they like this ruling.  I stress education first.  The other coaches for the Kapolei Hurricanes are Head Coach Kaleo Fernandez, asst. coaches Keoki Ka'apana, Allan Kapuniai, Bobby Carillo and Jacob Ramos.  To see today's video and action photos, "click here."

No comments:

Post a Comment